The rule of thumb with ties is that the tip of the front of the tie should land somewhere on the belt buckle.
For tall guys, this can be a circus act to get a standard tie long enough. You have to tie and retie the necktie until it gets just right. Then you notice that the tail of the tie is only about 4 inches long. Secretly and with shame, you tuck the small tail into your shirt. Or, even worse, you pull out some Scotch tape and stick it into place.
There is a better way. Tall men should wear extra long neckties. Longer ties allow for tall men to tie their ties properly and still have enough tie length to tuck the tail in properly. Extra long ties are usually 61 to 63 inches in length.
How Long Should a Tie Be if I’m Tall?
Here are the guidelines for who should wear extra long ties:
- Any man over 6’3″ should wear extra long ties (62″+). No negotiations here.
- Any man with a neck size of 17.5 or larger (unless you are also incredibly short).
- Any man with a neck size of 16 – 17.5 and who is between 5’11″ and 6’3″, especially with a long torso.
- Average-size men can wear standard ties, which are usually 56-58 inches long.
- There are also XXL ties for very tall men. These ties are approximately 66 inches long and are intended for men 6’7″ and above.